Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"We were both speaking Scottish"

Who'd have thought that would be the quote of the Champions League games this week?!

Yes, the UEFA Champions League For The Rich is back and some of the games actually have me excited for that rarity of occasions.

I won't bore you all again with how I feel about the Champions League and the death of the proper European Cup. Search the blog, click the label tags and you can find all that out.

Last night's game between Spurs and AC Milan though piqued my interest. Well it did more than that. It was a game I was looking forward to seeing. Harry Redknapp has his lads playing some pretty fine stuff in Europe this season. Would never want them to win the thing of course, heavens forbid, but they've livened up some dull weekly rounds and deserve a lot of credit.

The game at the San Siro against the Serie A leaders wasn't a classic though. Had me fast forwarding through bits as the usual CL dullness crept in. Gennaro Gattuso certainly livened up proceedings though, fucking wee asshole that he is.

I've no idea what came over him, but he's a disgrace, as were Milan in a number of areas.

Gattuso should have seen red for the first square up with Tottenham coach, and Scotland legend, Joe Jordan. Having his hands round his throat was bad enough, but the after match headbutt on the 59 years old was incredible to watch. I had to play it back a couple of times as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

For an old guy though, Jordan looked like he wanted to rip the wee nyaff's head off. He deserved to. Joe showed amazing restraint in not skelping him one off the pus. I'd have backed big Joe in a fight with him too.

There's no truth to the rumours that UEFA are wanting to charge Jordan with bringing the game into disrepute for not immediately falling to the ground, clutching his face like he's been shot. If the incident had been in the reverse, the Italian would have been convulsing on the ground like Ian Curtis at a Joy Division gig.

There is no doubt that Gattuso is going to be punished. He's already missing the next game, but he's going to be missing a lot more besides that. Gattuso's temper has let him down before and he never seems to show any signs of maturity.

In 2003, he slapped Ajax striker Zlatan Ibrahimović (ironically now his team-mate at the San Siro) in the face with the back of his hand, earning him a red card and a ban.

When Jordan and Gattuso were having their verbal altercation, I was wondering whether it would have been in Italian or Scottish. Couldn't quite lip read to find out.

Joe Jordan spent two seasons with AC Milan, scoring 12 goals in 52 appearances from 1981 to 1983. Gattuso played just over a season with Rangers in Scotland, scoring just 7 goals and falling out of favour quite quickly.

Turns out they were speaking Scottish!

"I lost control. There is no excuse for what I did. I take my responsibilities for that. I was nervous. We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said".

Judging by what played out, I'm pretty sure a Glasgow Kiss was mentioned somewhere in there.

Gattuso's actions were just part of an overall disgraceful show by Milan.

It all started with Mathieu Flamini's horror tackle on Vedran Corluka, which was lucky not to leave the Spurs player with a broken ankle. How that was just a booking is beyond me. Feet clearly off the ground and he jumped in two footed. Once a Gooner, always a goon obviously.

The most hilarious, disgraceful incident though came from Milan's Alexandre Pato. After Ibrahimović correctly had a late goal disallowed for the 'i Rossoneri', Pato lost it running up to the linesman and screaming abuse after abuse at him, all the time whilst his "respect" patch on his sleeve was in full flow. He won't have got the irony.

All in all, not a great couple of day's for Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.


*** These incidents are always way better to listen to with an excited commentator in a foreign language! ***

1 comment:

  1. Love how you tied up some Joy Division references lol

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter