Thursday, November 18, 2010

Well it's been in the planning stage for what seems like months now, but I'm finally flying home to Scotland today for a couple of weeks, with the aim of seeing as many football matches as possible in that time.

If things go according to plan, although the long range weather forecast ain't looking too cheery at this stage, I should be taking in 5 or 6 games on the trip, with games at East Fife, Cray Wanderers, Metropolitan Police or Crawley, Ayr United or Glenrothes Juniors, AFC Wimbledon and maybe a.n. other if the fixtures fairy is good to me and the weather gods even more so. Had to rule out Kingstonian at home due to some commitments elsewhere sadly, but hey, 5 or 6 games ain't bad going.

It's funny, when I lived in the UK, the thought of having a footballing holiday or groundhopping excursions never really entered my thoughts. Now, as an exile, I can't get enough and with my growing love of the non league scene in the last few years, I really regret not having seen more grounds and teams when I had the chance.

I've been to a lot of Highland League grounds and northern English non league clubs following the Fife pre-season for all these years and in Scottish Cup games, but I really should have made the effort to take in more. I've been up to Wick, I should try and get down to Cornwall too.

It's hard of course when you are following your own team week in, week out, home and away. Now that I am this exile though, I'm determined to chalk up more grounds, more teams, more leagues and love every minute of watching real football in the process.

First up though is my old haunt of Bayview and East Fife's Scottish Cup Third Round tie against Forfar Athletic. Not been to a Fife home game since April 2008 and I can't wait.

Looking forward to seeing all my old muckers and hopefully cheering the Fife on to a glamour Fourth Round tie. Then my football travels can really begin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter