Wednesday, January 27, 2010

After a pretty lacklustre first half, the second 45 minutes of tonight's all Manchester English League Cup semi final second leg tie exploded into life.

It was a cracking second half and I still find it strange to be cheering on Man United in any competition, never mind this one. You can't let the moneybag sides get their wicked way with the game though.

United deserved their 4-3 aggregate victory but of course one of the main talking points is going to be what happened off the pitch.

Now we'll just get this out of the way first. We don't condone fans throwing coins, bottles or any other missiles onto the pitch or at the players. It's wrong, gives the game a bad name, can do serious injury, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

Wasn't it great to see that little tosser Craig Bellamy smacked with what was presumably a coin though! There's some players you would just enjoy seeing that happen to and Bellamy is one for me. Chelsea's Michael Ballack is another and Raith's Gregory Tade, ex of Stranraer, a third that instantly springs to my mind. There will be many more!

I won't go as far as to say it's a pity that one of the bottles didn't smack him as well. That would just be wrong!

Even when the coin did hit him though, he went down like a ton of bricks had hit him. Must have been one hell of a big coin/object. I can only begin to imagine how he'd have reacted if one of the bottles had hit. Remarkable recovery powers as well, although if I had been the ref I'd have booked him for pushing me out of the way when enquiring if he was ok.

The lingering question for me from the incident though was how the hell does someone manage to get a glass bottle into the game? When I think of the hassles I've had taking flags and cameras into some grounds, you have to laugh.

Actually when you think of Bellamy's smacked puss you have to laugh as well. Happy days!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter