Monday, January 4, 2010

The New Year is already just a few days old but football has got that spring in my step and feeling good about the year to come and the FA Cup has had a big part to play in that.

I can't remember the FA Cup being played right after the New Year. Obviously it will have, but it just seems all so soon but all the better for it.

The festive fixtures are always a great way to unwind during the holidays but to cap it off, especially for those off work and school for the whole time, with FA Cup Third Round action, with giantkiller possibilities galore, makes it all the better as far as I'm concerned.

The World Cup has obviously dictated this earlier scheduling but I hope they keep it going forward as it's set 2010 off to a great start.

There were some great games over the weekend, some disappointments (West Ham blowing their lead against Arsenal) and of course a shock or two.

It's hard for me to think of Leeds beating Man United as being the kind of giantkilling shock to match those of say Hereford and Wrexham of years gone by. Their recent successes at the top level are still to fresh in my mind and I remember growing up hearing about the Scottish invasion in the early 70's at Elland Road. Shockeroonie it was though and well deserved as well.

Maybe the Scottish Cup will, for once, add some excitement and shocks this coming Saturday (weather permitting!). I'm looking forward to seeing how Irvine Meadow and Inverurie Locos get on.

It's going to be a good year. I can sense it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter