Saturday, January 2, 2010

We'll finish our retrospective posts today with a personal look back at the decade that was the noughties.

It's been an amazing ten years looking back. Some lows, but mostly highs and plenty of fine memories.

It seems to have flown by. Was it really ten years ago we were all talking about Y2K and the end of computers as we knew them? Of course, the last ten years has completely changed computers and technology beyond almost all recognition.

When the year 2000 started, little did I think I'd be married and living on the other side of the world by the end of the decade. I left a lot of really good friends behind at Bayview but they're not forgotten and I've met some fantastic guys in the Southside in Vancouver that have made my move and new team and surroundings fantastic and fun. I feel very lucky.

AFTN finally made the transition from printed media to web content in 2003 and we haven't looked back since. We've had over 6 years online now and our website and forum has now grown into a blog, twitter and a You Tube channel. We written for the award winning East Fife programme and had stuff featured in magazines and newspapers across the world. Who knows where the next ten years might take us.

I've been at some unforgettable matches and witnessed some unforgettable moments.

East Fife winning promotion with a last minute goal at home to Queens Park on May 10th 2003, Third Division East Fife putting out Premier St Mirren in the League Cup, East Fife lifting their first Championship trophy in 60 years and being there to see it, Vancouver Whitecaps winning the 2008 USL Championship on home turf in my first season watching them, the 2009 USL playoff series between Vancouver and Portland. They're my highlights.

Favourite goal would have to be Kenny Deuchar's promotion clincher in the 2003 match mentioned above, closely followed by Craig O'Reilly's wonder strike that saw us put out St Mirren in the match also mentioned above. The fact I caught that goal on video is still my personal highlight of everything I've done with AFTN!

The villain of the decade has to be Derrick Brown who made myself and the other militant Fife fans miss watching our beloved team for the greater good. We toppled his Chairmanship and possibly saved the Club in the process. We certainly wouldn't have had that Championship under his reign.

Other villains would be the surrender monkeys of Montreal in what we've well documented happened against TFC in June 2009 and the scum behind Milton Keynes Dons who put Wimbleson out of business only to create the success story of the decade AFC Wimbledon in the process. Long live the Wombles.

My own biggest regret of the decade is not being able to go to Firs Park on March 15th 2008 to witness the day that East Fife won their first Championship since 1948. But I was part of that journey and I was there at the end for the trophy presentation and that's all that matters.

It's been a good decade for me and for AFTN. To the friends we've made, thank you for being part of my life. To the future, whatever it may hold in store, let's just hope that the next ten years will see AFTN, East Fife, Vancouver Whitecaps and the Scottish National team go from strength to strength.

It's teen time!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy watching live sex cams? You won't forget BongaCams.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter