Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Faced with a free Tuesday evening in London what would you do? Go see Arsenal in the Champions League against Standard Liege? Charlton perhaps taking on Bristol Rovers in the Championship?

For me, there was only one match to go to last night and that was AFC Wimbledon taking on Ebbsfleet United in the Blue Square Premier.

I've followed the ups and down of Wimbledon since they joined the Football League Division 4 in 1977. Still have some programmes from their first season of league football.

The horrible goings on which led to a club (not THE club) moving to Milton Keynes and the subsequent rebirth of the Club as AFC Wimbledon, has been both sad and a joy to witness. The rise of the new team has been an inspiration to supporters of all crisis hit clubs throughout the country.

It was great to finally take in my first AFC Wimbledon match.

What a cracking wee set up they've got along there at Kingsmeadow. It was proper football in proper surroundings, just how the game should be watched. Add in a 3-0 victory for the Wombles and it was a fantastic night.

They've got themselves a fantastic ground in Cherry Red Records Stadium. Three sides of covered terracing and a stand, very sufficient and packed to the rafters by the 2,942 people that were there last night.

It was great dodging between the heads to see the action once again. You could even nip out for a pint at the bar at half time.

Only really disappointment for me was that there were no pies in the tea bar, but I could live with that!

Something else I could certainly live with is going to watch Wimbledon every week. Ok, it's maybe not the greatest football you're ever going to see in the world but it's what I love and how I love it.

If I ever find myself living in London for a spell, I know where my footballing home will be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter