Saturday, November 21, 2009

Match Report: Clyde v East Fife (Scottish 2nd Division)

East Fife came through their basement six pointer with flying colours today, but they could have made it a lot easier on themselves than they did.

Going into the match knowing that a defeat would see them propping up the league, they really went for it from the off and Paul McManus was rewarded for his tenacity after 9 minutes when he coolly ran into the box and as the Fife support were yelling for him to shoot, he rounded Clyde goalie Calum Reidford and slotted home.

East Fife then went on to dominate proceeding but apart from a spell of pressure just before and just after the goal, they started to sit back and not really threaten to add to their lead.

With so many lost leads and late goals conceded, the Fife faithful were wary of the same old story being played out. The fears weren't eased when Clyde came out for the second half all guns blazing and had chance after chance before finally levelling when East Fife's Mark Staunton was adjudged to have fouled Steven Howarth in the box. Up stepped Willie Sawyers to convert the penalty and tie things up with 35 minutes of the game still remaining.

As Clyde continued to launch assaults on the Fife goal, it looked like it was all happening again but slowly East Fife got back into the game and soon retook charge of the possession and chances.

And it was up to Shagger to double his and the Fife's tally when he netted from close range with 68 minutes on the clock. After that Clyde were a spent force and Bobby Linn finished a great spell of black and gold possession when he finished off a fine solo effort by firing in low from 14 yards out, with then minutes remaining.

It was the Linn of old, with the ball at his feet as he went on a mazy and a fine finish and the goal should give him some of his confidence back.

There were some fine performances on display for the Fife, with Paul McManus' workrate being phenomenal, even if his finishing lets him down from time to time.

East Fife shouldn't have let Clyde back in to the game after dominating for so long but full play to Clyde for coming out fired up for the second half and catching us cold.

The Bully Wee fans are a patient lot though. They have a very poor side and as East Fife were knocking the ball around Brazilian style at one point in the second half, with backheel passes and showboats, you couldn't help but think that if that was Clyde doing it to us the boos would be ringing down from the Fife support.

The boos and the oh so familiar chants of "Brown Must Go" did come and after the game long suffering Clyde boss John Brown was finally shown the door at Broadwood.

For East Fife, they now have the week off from League duty to face the woeful and winless Montrose at Links Park in the Scottish Cup next Saturday. If they can play the way they did today, but take some more chances, then the Gable Endies could find themselves on the end of a drubbing next Saturday and that's just the boost that East Fife could do with for the remainder of this very tight season.

C'mon The Fife!

FINAL SCORE: Clyde 1 - 3 East Fife


Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter