Thursday, October 29, 2009

It seemed like it was never coming, but the draw for the Third Round of the Scottish Cup finally took place yesterday.

With the Second Round ties being played on Saturday, fans were hoping for the draw on the Saturday night or at the very latest on the Monday. Why it took place on a Wednesday is anybody's guess but I figure you just have to answer that with "it's the Scottish Football League" and everyone will just nod knowingly.

Once the draw was finally made, with East Fife as number 13 in the "hat", the pairing of a trip to Links Park to face Montrose didn't exactly set the heart all a flutter.

As a current Fife exile, but returning home to take in the match, I was particularly wanting an away tie. Basically anything but a home tie at the sterile Bayview. So at least we got that. A good day out and a team we can certainly beat.

I'd convinced myself it would be another bore tie at home to Brechin or Arbroath or Forfar. As it turned out those three teams all got cracking away ties at Wick, Irvine Meadow and Spartans, so I'm sure their fans were pretty pleased about not playing us as well!

With all respect to Montrose though, it's not exactly exciting. It's a ground we've played at on countless occasions. I don't know how many times I've seen us there now. Even in pre-season friendlies.

It's also a very familiar team, or rather management. Manager Steven Tweed left us last season to become the Gable Endies player manager and Assistant Manager Jim Moffat is our former manager. I'm sure they'll both be going all out to put one over on their former, and bigger, club.

I'll admit the draw has left me with a tinge of disappointment but at least the away game should give us a bit of atmosphere and I'm hoping to try and get some kind of tifo in place for the day.

It'll be a great day out, another Cup victory and I'll get the chance to see my beloved black and gold in the flesh once again.

Just a shame it's not pastures new.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow AFTN on Twitter